I ready Wuthering Heights every year and here is why:
- The Moors. I’m so in love with England’s countryside and the way the moors are described. Scenery and setting are key in this novel.
- The characters are so real. They are flawed, it’s like you can reach out and touch feel them. It’s amazing how Bronte managed to describe them.
- It’s the greatest love story I’ve ever read. I know everyone gusses over Romeo and Juliet but they don’t got squat compared to these two. Cathy and Heathcliff have been in some much pain for their love. It’s the definition of forbidden love.
- The writing is impeccable. The back anf forth is so clever that it holds your interest until the very end.
- Finally, above all I like the hidden messages about racism and inequality, that a female – mind you- author of the 19th century managed to convey.
This is why I always come back to read Wuthering Heights.
He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.